Firm History

Mr Thompson

Our firm began in 1954 when our founder, Mathew J. Thompson III, P.E. opened the doors for business.

Mr. Thompson graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Mechanical Engineering with Honors in 1950 and had worked for James Posey and Associates in Baltimore, MD and Richmond, VA. Mr. Thompson, a native of Newport News, was also a graduate of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company Apprentice School, and was a veteran of World War II, having served in the US Navy.

MJT_Office

Office_Old

In 1973, the company was incorporated as Mathew J. Thompson III, Consulting Engineers, Inc.

Mr. Thompson served as President of the Consulting Engineers Council of Virginia in 1974-75, and in 1987, Mr. Thompson was recognized as Engineer of the Year by the Virginia Society of Professional Engineers and the Engineers Club of the Virginia Peninsula.

In November 2002 Mr. Thompson retired, and the firm was purchased by Mark W. Thompson, P.E., George C. Chappell, Jr., and Kevin D. Allen, P.E.  In 2005, to recognize the new leadership and ownership of the firm, the company’s trading name was changed to Thompson Consulting Engineers.

In 2009, the firm moved from Newport News to its new, larger facility in Hampton.  Today the firm employs a total of 35 people, including engineers, technicians, construction administrators and support staff.